Friday, January 20, 2012

Life Is Too Short, Live With Passion

Passion

After returning home from a long day of school, I received the news that a true inspiration of mine had passed away. Mr. Kriz was my 8th grade math teacher and his passion and love for not only math, but for teaching were immeasurable. There is something to be said about someone with a passion, and Mr. Kriz had it. You could sense in him this ever longing need to spread his knowledge, spread joy, and make math something that everyone enjoyed. Between the Matherobics and the original songs that he wrote to help us memorize facts, it was very clear that he was no ordinary math teacher. I had the chance over the break to really sit and think about what Mr. Kriz meant to me. I realized that since my 8th grade year, I became entranced with the idea of teaching. I've always talked about (if I didn't make it big time) becoming a teacher, but I never quite understood what began my engagement with the idea of becoming an educator. I've been extremely lucky to have filled my pre-college education, since I was in Kindergarden, with fantastic teachers. But, there are a few that stand out in my mind. These are teachers that only love what they're teaching, but they just love teaching. These are the teachers that can change a student's life. Mr. Kriz was no doubt one of those people. I remember seeing how much joy teaching brought him, and how much joy his teaching brought to others and I couldn't resist the idea of one day being a teacher like him.


I share this with you in the hopes that you can understand why he had such an impact on so many people. When we do what we love, and we love what we do...there is a special aura surrounding a person that you cannot describe. You notice it immediately when they walk in a room, and it can be hard to find. But, what got me thinking about this was another acting class discussion, this one about presence. One of my friends threw out the idea that people are truly present when they are passionate about what they're doing. When work isn't work and love is the driving force behind their every move. The first person I thought of was Mr. Kriz.

He is and will be truly missed.

Rest in peace Mr. Kriz, and thank you for everything you've done for everyone.




No comments:

Post a Comment