Sunday, January 22, 2012

Life Is Like A Song

As a part of one of my classes this year, we had to sing a "standard" in the 20's and 40's style. I had a hard time finding a song, until this one came along. "At Last" sort of popped out of no where and for some reason spoke to me. I wasn't extremely successful in finding the meaning of it in the 20's style, and it wasn't until the day of the final for the 40's final that it spoke to me. It was a moment I won't forget, as it was the first time I let myself free fall into a piece. It poured out of me like nothing ever had before and right after I had finished, things finally clicked. I realized then that the song essentially says that up to this moment, I haven't had anyone or anything in my life like you...you've turned my world upside down. "I found a dream that I could speak to, a dream that I could call my own. I found a thrill to press my cheek to, a thrill I've never known." Woah. For something as intangible as love, that's a pretty tangible explanation. But what is that tangible thing and how can someone find it? Although the lyrics speak of waiting and finding this dream you've searched everywhere for, I think that's the mind making sense of something that really doesn't. I think these things come to us, whether we know, admit it, and realize it or not.

So, this is my post tributing the one and only Etta James who passed away on Friday. Here are 3 versions of the song that inspire me. Etta James, Beyonce, and Jason Mraz (of course).

No comments:

Post a Comment